tirsdag 15. november 2016

4. A day at Alstahaug and Tjøtta

Liam Mooney         

        I really enjoyed this day as we were out and about walking through the woods and exploring the outdoors around our destinations. We followed a path to reach Kongshaugen, where we stood atop the mound and listened to Petter’s analysis of the spot which included the political and geographical significance of this locale in relation to the Viking age. Peeking through the trees, I noticed how many surrounding islands were visible from this overlook and could picture how this mount would be a noticeable landmark for incoming sailors and other inhabitants.
            Viewing and entering Alstahaug church was the first taste of our short-lived careers as professional church architects. Afterwards, we were then given time to roam around the Petter Dass Musuem which reminded me of being in the Knut Hamsun Center in Hamarøy. The unique, slanted architecture of the walls and floors creates a neat feeling for those walking around the exhibits of artifacts, short readings of the past, and even music. I found myself standing on the edge of the glass-panels overlooking the sea, which inspired me to head outside and explore. When doing so, I made my way up to an erected rock statue overlooking the classic landscape of Northern Norway. Once again, it dawned on me how these museums and monuments are enhanced by the astounding natural beauty of Norway surrounding them.

            Later on we walked to the stone of Eyvindr Finnson Skáldaspillir who was a prominent Norwegian skald. Here, I remember learning about the role of Ale in many Viking traditions ranging from birth to death. We continued on to Tjøtta, standing on this land of history that once acted as a meeting ground for district leaders and representatives. This spot served as a political ground connecting the various regions, allowing them to form consensus and such, along with carrying out traditions like sacrifices which took place in the center of the locale. We left Tjøtta and boarded a bus back as the fiery sun set on the horizon and drew my eyes back to those classic Norwegian mountains, reaffirming my choice to study abroad in this beautiful land.

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar